Principal's Spring Newsletter 2017
With the launching of our last edition of The OLC Spirit, we welcomed a new year. It is hard to believe that 2017 is approaching the midyear mark and we are in the Easter season. Since then, so much has happened. The following is a short list of recent happenings:
- With re-registration beginning a month earlier, we are proud to announce that many of our grades are closed with enrollment approaching 500 students.
- In March, four teams of middle school students presented their science projects at the Archdiocesan STEM Expo in Kearny. The event was thrilling and a learning experience for all who attended.
- A team of sixth grade mathematicians competed at Marist. Although they did not place, they were both grateful for the experience and now are more driven to know how they could become more competitive.
- Eighth grader, Jose Garcia, was presented with the Outstanding Catholic School Graduate award on April 8th at the Youth Center in Kearny. He was accompanied by his parents, Ms. Zarsky and me.
In the coming weeks, you can look forward to the following events:
- The 5th Annual Taste of Jersey City is being held on May 12th. Please consider joining us for an evening of delicious food and drink, fabulous entertainment and wonderful company.
- Two Spring Showcases will be held at 9:00 am on May 18th for grades K-2 and May 19th for grades 3-8. Please note there was a change in the date and time of the Showcase for grades 3-8. This information was blasted on April 28th. The OLC Art Show will also be open on those days from 8:00 am- 9:00 am for parents to view.
- The Dance to Learn experience for grades 2 & 3 will culminate with a performance on May 23rd at 9:00 am. First grade students will attend. An invitation will be extended to their parents as well.
- Field Days, events for students from the preschool to grade 8, will take place in May. Changes to the dates have been posted to our website calendar.
- A middle school Student Council sponsored Talent Show will take place on May 25th at 2:00 pm.
- The 8th Annual Spring Fling will take place on Saturday, June 10th. This year, the event will take place on OLC’s grounds and will include the International Event. More information will follow shortly.
- Finally, I am happy to say that we have come through this year with a snow day that we did not use. Barring more snow and water main breaks, Memorial Day weekend break will begin on Friday, May 26th and end and run through Tuesday, May 30th. We will return to school on Wednesday, May 31st.
Please note the students should be wearing their regulation spring/summer uniform. Having your child follow the dress code, sends a positive message.
Wishing sunny days and warm wishes,
Anna Mae Stefanelli