Greetings to you from OLC!
To begin, Summer Camp 2016 has been a huge success and completely enjoyable for our young campers. It has been so much fun for me, too, as I loved watching them splash in the pools and do so many delightful activities.
Construction got off to a fast start in June in the school and convent. The middle school students will be happy to know that they will be returning to new bathrooms. In an attempt to accommodate our growing enrollment, areas on the first floor have been redesigned to create two new classrooms!
Here are some highlights to look forward to in the coming year:
- Join us on Tuesday, September 6th for a Meet and Greet Your Teacher, for students and parents in Tiny Tikes through grade 8, from 1:00-3:00 pm.
- The Back to School Social is on September 16th at 5:30 pm. Mark your calendars.
- “Staying green” will continue to be a priority as we look to reduce paper consumption even more. Please make sure you have updated your information forms so that we can communicate with you via email, text messages and automated calls.
- Our middle school has been selected among the first thirty schools in the Archdiocese to participate in the STEM Expo: Global Challenges, STEM Solutions.
- Gardening will continue and grow at OLC.
- More attention will be given to formalizing student service work at OLC.
- New faculty and staff members will join us, adding additional skills, talents and passions to the already talented faculty and staff.
- A different approach to the teaching of World Languages will be implemented.
You may recall that The PSA conducted a survey last year. As a result, their fundraising attention will turn toward supporting cultural arts programming, field trips, and improving Upper Victory Hall.
As you prepare for the next school year, please remember that we have a dress code to follow at OLC/LHA, with a regulation uniform sold at Flynn and O’Hara. Help OLC/LHA stand apart from other schools by wearing the uniform in the way it was intended. The 2016-2017 handbooks can now be accessed online. Log on for specific uniform information.
As promised, you will be receiving placement letters via email earlier this year. As you can appreciate, much work goes into creating balanced classes. All input was considered; however, in the end, the teachers and administration made the final decision in the best interest of all students.
As you can see nothing ever stays the same at OLC. I look forward to another productive year and seeing all of you as I enjoy the second half of the summer.
Anna Mae Stefanelli, Principal